Healthy (Carrot) Cupcakes

Book Club (the best night of the month) is tonight! 

We pot-luck the food situation. I found this recipe in this month's Real Simple and since Martha's chocolate chip cookies are my go-to, I just had to try these Carrot Cupcakes

And Ms. Stewart came through for me, like always. So I'm real excited to impress my friends.






For the Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated carrots (from about 4 medium carrots) **

For the Frosting:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)

Action:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Prepare your muffin tins with liners, Pam, whatever you want.

2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.

3. In another large bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture mixing until well combined. Divide among muffin tin. Bake 25-30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

4. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Frosting Action:
Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and orange zest. Top each cupcake. 


Used the cut-the-corner-off-the-ziplock method (to impress yall).

**Note/ Confession: I asked Vasily to grate the carrots because I didn't want to work too hard. He grated 3 cups instead of just the 2 I needed and I felt bad for not telling him "when" so... I used all 3 cups. I was nervous, but the cupcakes turned out tasty, healthy, not overly carrot-y. 



Also, I found this: Me and Amanda during our study abroad in Sienna, Italy circa 2008. We wore sleeveless shirts to the cathedral so... had to sport these amazing super hero capes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover